Essential Oils For Dealing With The Stress Of Travel

Essential oils are being used by more and more people in dealing with stress, and travel has certainly become more stressful in recent years. Which oils are good for this purpose and how can they be used?

Which Oils?

When you think of an essential oil for dealing with stress, what is the first oil that comes to mind? For most people, it is lavender. Two of my favorites are Idaho balsam fir and frankincense, and some people prefer geranium, jasmine, or ylang ylang as well.

What happens when some of these oils are combined into a special blend? I pack one of my favorite blends in my checked bag. The blend that I carry with me in my one-quart plastic bag contains nine different oils, including frankincense, myrrh, lavender, rose, and Idaho balsam fir. Whether I inhale directly from the bottle or just hold it in my hand, it provides a calming sense of security for me.

Other top choices include bergamot, Roman chamomile, and spruce.

How to Use

After you read the remainder of this article, you will have a better idea of how you might like to use some of these calming oils in your travels.

As you might expect, some people wear their stress reduction oils as a cologne or perfume. Others feel more relaxed just knowing that their favorite oil is close by. It can be in an essential oil necklace or in a pocket, briefcase, or handbag.

Some people take single oils with them, while others prefer blends. Some people purchase their blends, while others make their own.

Inhalation Secrets

As security at airports has become more of an issue, people are discovering more ways of having their favorite relaxation aroma with them at all times. Here is a partial list of how to do it.

1. Essential Oil Necklace

These come in various styles. Mine is called an essendulum and I can smell the aroma by lifting off the top. Some people prefer a terra cotta oil necklace onto which they can place a few drops of their favorite oil. Then it acts as a diffuser.

2. Bottle

Space and weight determine which size bottle I take. Usually it is a 5 ml or a 15 ml bottle. But sometimes I will fill a 5/8 dram bottle with my favorite oil blend and then use my label maker to label it.

3. Inhaler

Various companies sell inhalers with wicks onto which one can put several drops of a favorite oil. If you use more than one of these inhalers, you will probably want to label the outside with a label maker.

4. Cotton Round or Cotton Ball in a Zip-Lock Bag

Some people simply put a few drops of their favorite oil on a cotton ball or cotton round, pit in in a zip lock bag, and pack it in their carry-on luggage.